Tuesday 8 November 2011

Advent Calendar & Spreading the Cheer!

Firstly thanks to everyone for reading and I am glad that I am helping people already. 
So let me ask you this question?  When do you start decorating and putting up your Christmas Tree?  We generally put ours up on or around 01 December but as David will be at school this year we are going to do it the weekend prior.  Then we will start decorating the house from there.  I challenge each of you to make at least 1 decoration this year for your Christmas tree and/or house or more and email me a photo that I will upload here to inspire others.  I know you can all do it.  I will be blogging decoration ideas in the coming weeks.
From tomorrow I will have photos daily of Projects that I am about to start working on or have finished along with recipes and goodies of what we are doing this year.
I am starting to compile lists of things that I want to do, presents list, card list etc.
What do you all do for an Advent Calendar?  Do you have one or are you going to do one for the first year this year?  These can be very simple or very elaborate.  This year we are using a string of mini stockings and in each day will be a note with an activity or an action that David will be doing that day.  Below are our activities for the year.  I became inspired to do this by Ali Edwards.  Here is a link to her blog post regarding this. 
http://aliedwards.com/2010/11/weekend-creative-advent-action-cards.html
These are not in any particular order and not the final list yet.  I am going to sit down with my calendar and a list of the days and work out what to do each day.  For the card making I am making up kits which I can just pull out for him.  I will share these with you once I have made them up.  I am on the odd day going to add a small chocolate or a small decoration for the tree.
Visit Santa
Make thank you cards
Visit Christmas Lights
Take a bag of cans and other non-perishables to the local food bank
Make Christmas cookies for your class mates
Take cookies to your class mates
Ring 3 people and tell them just how much you care about them
Take cards and cookies to Rest Home up the road
Take presents to Kids First/Star Ship
Decorate your Christmas Tree in your room and decorate room
Visit Candy land
Make some presses for others
Go shopping with Mummy or Daddy
Take presents into classmates and teachers and spread Handmade & Heartfelt Goodness
Do Christmas Arts & Crafts
Last Day of School for the year go out for hot chocolate and cookies
Prize Giving Dinner tonight
Make Christmas Cards and send them in the mail
Make a donation to the South Auckland Hospice Christmas Tree

This year we have a 6ft Tree and Christmas Decorations that we want to donate to a family that otherwise would not have a tree this year.  I want nominations from all of you.  We will send this tree and decorations any where in New Zealand.  If you could have your nominations into me on my email address by 01 December and once decided we will have the tree and decorations delivered to the family from you!
Also who out there would be interested in a “Handmade & Heartfelt” Christmas Gift Swap?  This does not need to be very big at all.  I would need names and addresses by 01 December then I will email everyone their lucky recipient who will be drawn out of a hat and then if we could have these sent off by 10 December so that we can make sure that these are sent off in time.  I am not limiting the number of people involved and there is no dollar value limit.   All I ask is that what ever is sent is “Handmade & Heartfelt”.  So if part of it is store brought that that little bit of “Handmade & Heartfelt” is somehow included in it.
May you all have a wonderful day and till tomorrow live everyday in a “Handmade & Heartfelt” way!

8 comments:

  1. Last year I made out advent using little paper bags and all kinds of numbers and little pegs and string after an 'incident' with bubba and the choc advent calendars - ie he found them and ate them all LOL

    This year my grams has brought the boys one each but I really like the idea of an activity calendar rather then choc so I think I might pop one together too and i love your list - I def will borrow and idea or two :)

    Sorry I can't think of anyone who needs a tree but will sing out if I do .....

    As for the tree - well it will prob be the fake one with the traditional decoration explosion approach as popular with small children LOL

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would send the tree to a family in Christchurch. Don't know of anyone in particular down there - but they have had a hell of a year there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you are going to send a tree to someone.
    Our tree goes up early Dec and we do a choccie advent calendar cos the 'child' is now a teen lol
    I'll be in for a handmade ornament swap - I am sure I can squeeze it in :-)
    Roo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the swap for a gift or a decoration?

    I cant think of anyone for the tree and decoration but what a great thing for you to do and who ever gets it will be very lucky.

    I made the boys each a kaisercraft advent calendar and I put little chocolate or mini candy canes in them. This year Im getting them a lego advent calendar as well as they are big on lego at the moment.

    Fanstic list you have there and lots of giving to those around you which is what xmas is about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic thing to do with the christmas tree. I love the idea of someone in Christchurch getting it, I can't think of anyone at the moment.

    Bronny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie Kids get chocolate advent calenders, Last year I made my own Kaiser advent Calender which hubby fills for me LOL
    I am so in for a swap, so sign me up please

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year as a last minute thing I made the kids (and they were 15,13 and 11, 2 boys and a girl)so older kids a sort of advent calendar. I got verses from Christmas Songs and bible quotes and attached them with sweets on the Christmas Tree they all read them before they ate their lollies. They enjoyed it and I asked this year if they want me to do it again and they all said Yes!

    Please put my name down for the swap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice blog you have.
    I am keen on the swap!
    adit.bailey@live.com

    ReplyDelete